This is part travel guide, part how-to manual, part secret tips, part real world advice, and part madness.
You can do it too.
This book/guide/rambling was drafted in Houston (August 2013), continued in Boston (September 2013), then abandoned. It is very much still in draft form with inline notes to myself, terse thoughts to be expanded later, irregular formatting, no pictures or illustrations, nonsensical sections, and no clear flow between some ideas. Read at your own risk.
The chapters below are about 14,000 words total but the content is fairly skimmable. Estimated reading time: 30–60 minutes.
So, here, in 2016, I leave you with my draft from 2013.
How to Quit Your Job, Travel, and Do Whatever You Want
- (initial writing outline)
- 00 Is This For Me (and by me I mean you, the reader me)?
- 01 Life, Interrupted
- 02 Freedom, Bubbling
- 03 Freedom, But at What Cost?
- 04 Freedom, Almost
- 05 Freedom, In Bullet Time
- 06a Sell ALL THE THINGS
- 06b Buy ALL NEW THINGS
- 07 Queens, Danes, and Leprechauns
- 08 Palest Guy In Barcelona, Summer of 29
- 09 Seattle, you can’t trick me
- 10 Here We Go Again, Now With Electrolytes
- 11 Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A
- 12 The Best Things In Life Are Complicated
- 13 Summer of Freedom, Summer of 30
- Job Search 2013 overlaps with the previous chapter’s time frame.
- iPhoto Picture Book (May 2013-November 2013) also overlaps with the previous chapter’s time frame.
- (not written) 14 Slow down, you’re going to pull something
- (not written) 15 A guy, a macbook pro, and a markdown editor